Category: Amnh

04.12

2011

0

time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana

 Some butterflies I’ve been pinning in my free time…

 

 A shot from the “Daily News” on “The World’s Largest Dinosaurs” at AMNH. Can’t legally show you anything else … just come see the show! Opens April 15th, I’ve got lots of vouchers.

 

 

Artwork for “Songs for Rosemary” by Tom and Cindy Luxem

 

 

 

02.14

2011

0

titan beetle

as a little side job, i pinned a titan beetle for the dino show!

12.24

2009

0

final pictures of "traveling the silk road"

photos by Christopher Luxem

11.11

2009

0

AMNH October, November

 The Marketplace scene!

 The ship, with the pots I worked on.

  I sculpted the camel’s fur back on once the head was attached to the neck. I also applied the hair in the photos above.

 The camels are taking over.

I painted these garlic

Then made them into a rope! 

Oregano before

Oregano after I painted it

 Oregano finished!

So, I was temporarily hired at the museum to finish up the show, and all those photos represent what I was working on, which was, EVERYTHING! It was great, though. I learned a lot and hopefully I’ll be back there soon.

10.14

2009

0

AMNH - September, October

What I’ve been working on this and last month.

 One of four camels, fresh out of the mold. Each piece needs 2 layers of “gel”, 2 layers of fiberglass resin (laying the fiberglass then wetting it down with stippling a brush over it) and then an edge layer of more fiberglass (then wet) then a gel to seal the edges. So, each piece gets about 9 layers before we can close it up. We hang it upside-down to set it so it doesn’t collapse inside the mold.

 One layer of gel-like polyester resin.

 The mold, taken apart. There are about 15 pieces total.

 The large abdomen piece.

 Another view.

 Pots – replicas from a sunken ship thought to be from the silk road era(s). These are cast in smooth cast and these few are broken open. I sanded the edges of the break to make it look more like a ceramic break. I also chased seams, and sealed bottoms on a lot of these pots. There will be 50-75 total. There are 30 now, 1/2 finished. A long way to go.

 Unpainted Rhubarb. I sculpted the two parts together. The leaves are vacu-formed plastic to plaster molds of leaves, and the stems are cast from real rhubarb stems.

 Kohlrabi – bulbs cast from real vegetables, leaves vacu-formed and in this picture, I am grafting them together.

 Indian gooseberries – I sculpted these, Steve helped me cast them, then I painted them.  1/2 painted gooseberries.

 Peepul figs – same process as the gooseberries.

Older Posts

Sketchbook

Recent bits and bobs floating around in the creative process

Instafeed

Follow @beccabarnet on Instagram for process shots and #boyfriendbruce